PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 26th Oct 2015, 08:00
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Hi Dan, all well in HK?

I refused to do my A2 while there was no laid down syllabus of theoretical knowledge - tales of the "I'll always know more than you do" style of BSS (that's Bulldog Standards Sqn - or should it be 'BS' Sqn?) and one miserable so-and-so's obsession with weird and wonderful aspects of world climatology were enough to put me off.

But then it changed - a syllabus appeared, so I studied for it (having just worked for my civil Air Law 1 & 2 had put me back into a learning frame of mind). They hadn't made it clear that part of the syllabus was for the JP only, so the theory behind a machmeter, while not of direct relevance to the Bulldog, was included.... A line had been missed from the CFS book, so one poor old BSS QFI, studying for his A1, had been thoroughly perplexed. I explained that this was the relation between density and static pressure, hence substituting for ρ in the equation would lead to the next line of theory. He was so thankful that the rest of my A2 groundschool check was a breeze - but the flying wasn't a lot of fun with some of the grumpier QFIs. Whereas in contrast, the actual A2 check at Scampton with Exam Wing was actually quite fun and I was lucky to get a first time pass.

The CFS techniques stood me in good stead for later ground and part-task trainer instruction for AAR conversion of crews from a couple of air forces onto their new aircraft - so no matter what people might think (as I used to before I did CFS), that 4-colour pen lobotomy is an extremely valuable asset!

And remember, LOOkout, Attitude, Instruments!