PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you request an ADC number over India
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2015, 05:35
vlsrotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry flight

Recently flew a ferry flight there. 30 minutes before crossing from Jakarta to Chennai FIR we get a call from Jakarta.

"Uh sir, Chennai requests your **garbled** number."

I had no idea what the hell he was talking about so I just gave him my registration and SELCAL hoping that would do the trick.

No response.

10 minutes before crossing into India.

"Sir, uhhhhh, Chennai needs your **garbled** number or you will be denied entry into Indian airspace."

He was literally just mumbling a string of letters and had no idea what he was asking for. Luckily I had just flown with an Indian Captain a couple of months before and he mentioned something about defense codes and how we never seemed to need them anymore.

We ACARS the sleeping dispatcher,

[NEED DEFENSE CODES TO ENTER ]
[INDIAN AIRSPACE IMMEDIATE ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
*SEND

We also told Jakarta to pick up the telephone and call our dispatch desk because nothing but a loud ring was going to wake the poor bastard.

As a last ditch option we slowed down and planned to turn onto heading 270 which would keep us in Jakarta's airspace for another 15 minutes.

5 minutes to go, we switched to Chennai and started the long process of establishing communications on HF. Finally got a hold of them and told them that we didn't have the codes and that our company was going to ACARS it to us. They mumbled on a bit then proceeded to ignore us. About 45 minutes later, company got back with the codes. Nobody asked us for them again, and we didn't get shot down.

India.