PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 26th Oct 2015, 03:53
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I flew with a couple of those guys.

The biggest problems with my BFT course was instructor continuity. I went from the CFI, to a FJ psychopath, to a jolly nice C130 chap (who bemoaned the lack of tea making facilities in the JP), to a creamie (younger than me and who couldn't understand the concept of being just 'average'); to another FJ pilot (ex Harrier and the best pilot I have ever flown with but again, some problems with the 'average' concept); to another C130 pilot (who was further behind the aircraft than me); then to another creamie (good - and sympathetic to my plight), then another FJ pilot - who really didn't want to be there. Finally, I got a really good instructor (ex Shacks and one of the nicest guys you could possibly wish to fly with) who I learned the most from - but unfortunately, too late. For most of the course, I didn't have a clear idea of what I was trying to achieve as a lot of my energy and capacity was taken up with trying to adapt to different instruction styles. I got re-streamed to Group 2 at the end of BFT and I still consider that it was largely the system that failed and not necessarily me.

I'm not complaining - I had a fantastic time in the AAR world (I got to fly with BEagle!) and I wouldn't have had it any other way. But I learned a lot from the bad experiences and decided that if I ever became a QFI, I would model my instructional technique on the excellent ex-Shackleton guy's. A good decision, as six years later - he awarded me my A2!

The problems I encountered had largely disappeared when I became a QFI - there had been a wind change and the training environment had improved massively. We got far more from the students by being more sympathetic, but without lowering standards. In fact, the general consensus was that standards had improved. It's a similar situation to that at a public school. I got bullied because my seniors were bullied when they were juniors. This situation persisted until one day, someone decided that things had to change.

One interesting aspect of my career is that I'm still in touch with lots of my ex-students, whereas I'm only in contact with one of my ex-instructors.