PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreamliner in emergency landing at Dublin Airport
Old 26th Oct 2015, 02:42
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
I deal with "Design Assurance Level A" or DAL A software regularly. Nearly all the "software errors" we see are not really software errors - they are requirements errors. The software is doing exactly what we told it to do in the requirements, but the requirements were not representative of what was really wanted.
What's particularly common is the requirements - as written - are not clear to the people that are implementing them. The problem is that the people writing the requirements know the system intimately, and they write requirements that are clear and make perfect sense to them - but the people who implement those requirements don't know the system and what it's expected to do, and they don't interpret those requirements as the writers intended

Barit1, on most engines, if the shaft breaks the turbine will move aft and clash with the stators - it's not pretty, but it prevents a turbine overspeed and uncontained failure (or if bits do escape, they are not "high energy" and don't do significant damage). For some reason, Rolls engines don't tend to do that. This problem showed up on the RB211-524 engine - where a few fan shafts broke - one event was on the center engine on an L1011 and the fan came down through the fuselage and tried to cut the aircraft in half. Rolls came up with a 'fan catcher' that would prevent the fan from leaving the engine. The next failure was on a 747, the fan catcher worked as intended, but the unloaded LP turbine overspeed and exploded, cutting the rear of the engine off (and peppering the aircraft with shrapnel).
The Trent engine was developed with "LPTOS" - Low Pressure Turbine OverSpeed. Basically, the FADEC monitors the LP shaft speed at both ends - and if they disagree (within a small tolerance) it will shutoff the fuel. In the aftermath of the A380 event, Rolls has been implementing "IPTOS" (Intermediate Pressure TOS) on the various Trent models.
Software is not perfect, but it has often been successfully used to address various hardware shortcomings.

The A400 crash may well be the first known accident due entirely to a problem with DAL A software. All I know about it is what I've read in news accounts and I'm anxiously awaiting the official report (hopefully Airbus/Rolls won't use the military aspects of the A400 to make the report confidential). But the news reports point to a glaring requirements error - properly designed FADEC software should have put up a 'no dispatch' warning if a critical calibration was undefined.