PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 25th Oct 2015, 22:26
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Tourist, were you one of the RW pilots who came to the Brize Flying Club to obtain their PPLs?

All were fine, although one chap found that landing a SpamCan at 65 KIAS, on something that was 10000 ft long but wasn't moving, was somewhat different to landing from a hover on a postage stamp on the back of one of HM's grey war canoes battling the briny - so we did the circuit part of his Skill Test again.

I couldn't resist bursting into laughter when I did the diversion element of the Skill Test with one FAA chap - he kept producing various plotting jobbers of increasing complexity from behind him and I half expected a parallel rule and dividers to appear from his Pusser's grip, plus probably a lodestone and quadrant staff. Most people simply used the edge of the checklist and a chinagraph to draw the track, then the miles scale and a convenient VOR rose to assess distance and track.... But this latter-day Nelson managed to fly the aeroplane whilst making his plan with fiendish accuracy and as a result we arrived at the diversion spot on his ETA.