PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - useless Balpa
Thread: useless Balpa
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2015, 20:39
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight thread creep; I apologise.
It is very sad to hear that anything other than excellence as an instructor/examiner is a route to those positions. In 1980's it was the case that BALPA CC members found their way into management. Poacher turned game-keeper comes to mind. It was also the case then that TRI's & TRE's were called 'management pilots'. I found that offensive and total BS. A good manager is one animal; a good trainer is another. They are rarely the same, but I have known a few, and they were excellent at both. The training dept should be the back bone of standards, philosophy & etiquette. It should have nothing to do with contracts and T's & C's etc. It should be about excellence.
In the 80's it was the case, in UK, that a TRI/TRE position was seen as a stepping stone to higher things. As a result there were some piss poor trainers; more like trappers. I'd thought that in 90's the industry had moved on from that. Being a TRI/TRE is not about an easy pay rise, it is about raising the standards and maintaining them. Teaching is a vocation not a promotion in rank and a pay rise.
Being a hard-nosed savvy CC member prepared to tell BS mangers where to park it is rarely what a calm relaxed trainer is interested in; but that is what a CC member needs to be.
Being a 'management pilot' is a conflict of interest.

Last edited by RAT 5; 25th Oct 2015 at 21:46.