PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 25th Oct 2015, 19:42
jumpjumpjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a currently-teaching, CFS-qual'd QFI now on exchange I can say with no shred of doubt that however bad Tourist may believe that the current training pipeline is, that it is a whole pile better than a large number of the alternatives utilised by our allies. This includes those based on our own CFS style but that have gone a long way further down the path of "numbers only, no opinions" than ours.

What we have is not perfect, but having seen a number of different options I still maintain that it is the best available. That said, it isn't as good as the corporate mentality at CFS thinks it is - the corporate (not individual) arrogance that pervades CFS stops it from continuing to improve as quickly as it should at times.

As regards the quality of training, don't confuse different approaches with different standards. I'd suggest that in my own realm of experience (SH/SF Support) that we are training guys to do things as a matter of routine on the line Sqns that weren't even possible 10-15 years ago, never mind the preserve of SF-only crews. The fact that they are conducting this effectively and for the most part safely should speak volumes about the quality of the training system delivering them.

Nothing is ever as good as it could be, but that doesn't mean it used to better either. Just because it isn't how it was when you went through doesn't mean everyone else isn't as good as you were. And if that's your view and you haven't done something to fix the problem, then you ARE the problem.