PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2015, 10:06
All names taken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTQL Steve

You seem surprised that politics get involved in aviation. Of course they do. Everywhere. I guess most people will have forgotten that it was Margaret Thatcher who banged heads together over a 1/4 century ago to overcome obstacles so that American and Singapore Airlines could start their Manchester services.

Why is it a surprise that George Osbourne is trying to do the best for his constituents (and by doing so helping the wider regional economy)?
Perhaps you wish your MP was as pro-active?

I would suggest that one of the reasons that London has increasingly dominated the economy over the last decades is because of the 'sour grapes' mentality of the UK regions. If one region benefits through one action, other regions will cry foul and claim preference or prejudice. Sometimes it must be tempting to do nothing instead.

Instead of complaining about the success of one region, people need to look in the mirror a bit more.

As someone who has traveled globally for the last 20 years, I can tell you the most recognized place names in Britain that are not London are Manchester and then Liverpool. Both of these are in MAN's catchment.