PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 25th Oct 2015, 09:19
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afraid I'm with SkySports on this;

How on earth do you accept another job after flying for so much time? Was there a culture of landing below MLA? The police guys on board heard the warnings, the one in front probably saw them. We don't know what conversations took place, and I suspect this is where the AAIB are coming from.

I've flown 135's for ten years (not in a police role) and have always found the CAD really simple, as is fuel planning. During those ten years I've twice had fuel indication snags, both times I've landed knowing that although the supply tank was showing empty, there was fuel as the relevant engine was running, I was well inside my planned endurance and there were no RED FUEL LOW warnings. When the sensor fails in my experience the affected tank goes black if its' a supply tank and gives ratty data if its' the main.

I have (in a different type) found myself really tight on fuel, at night in a hostile environment and I was mighty scared. But, since my earliest instructor banged on at me about fuel guages and the importance of knowing how long your fuel could last my final action before take-off is to hit a stopwatch. Should the indications fail you instantly have a time indication as a final check.

SND