PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC Series - Fighter Pilots
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2015, 07:43
Brain Potter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought that CFS mandating that the initial flying exercises of the ME OCU be delivered by a QFI was largely indicative of their lack of understanding of this particular training task. They were not really interested that the simulator training (maybe 15 or so 4-hour exercises) was being delivered by a non-QFI, but wanted a QFI for the on-aircraft work. This didn't seem to be based on any analysis of course content, but more on a dogmatic policy that pre-CQT airborne training must be delivered by a QFI. I contend that fails to recognise that the simulator exercises form the core part of the course and instruction delivered at this stage is critical. If QFI experience is really necessary, it is hard to see why it is not also required for the simulator phase.

At best, the CFS policy can be seen as outdated in that it regards the flight simulator as something akin to a cockpit procedures trainer (like the old JPIT), ie an intermediate stage between ground-school and the "serious" part of the course. At worst, it could be seen as being designed to preserve the role of the QFI on the front--line, cleverly limited in scope to numbers that they may actually be able to provide.

Most "RAF Fighter Pilots" will at some stage of their career receive instruction from a TRI, both in a simulator and during a base-training detail, so this is still a relevant discussion!