PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2015, 00:13
gtseraf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it very interesting that there are so many questions about the upgrade process from prospective new hire F/O's, yet they are not asking many questions about the F/O conditions etc.

In my time here, the company has consistently upgraded F/o's to Captain. BUT the initial contract was for F/O not potential upgrade Cap. I believe there is no reference in the F/O contract to any upgrade process.

There seems to be some expectation that the upgrade process will start 3 years after joining. At present there appears to be a plan for 16 upgrade slots a year. The company, seems to be targeting 48 new hire F/Os per year. Doing the math, it would seem that the upgrade time may take longer than that. Add into the mix the probability of some F/O's being given their second go at assessments.

Recently, the failure rate in assessments has been quite high, around 50%, historically it has not been this high. In the past, if one failed the assessment, then one went through the assessments again 1 year later. I believe the company applies the same concept as Mainline ANA, 2 attempts at command (assessment or actual upgrade course) and that's it but have not seen that as written policy.

We have had cases of contract being renewed for some F/O's and not renewed for others, so it depends on the Company's opinion at the time of renewal.

I am getting a sense that some are looking at this gig with the attitude of "if I show up and stay 3 years I deserve a command"

AJX operation is not rocket science but it has it's unique challenges and I reckon that, depending on an individual's previous experience or ability, it may take longer than 3 years to be ready for the move to the left seat.

By all means, look at AJX as an option where it is possible to upgrade to Cap, that would be normal for any pilot, but please come here with the focus on doing the F/O gig for a while, learning from the old farts in the left seat ( we may be old and grey but we actually do know a thing or two about this aviation thing) and EARNING the opportunity to move to the left hand seat.

Good luck with it all.