PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 24th Oct 2015, 18:41
SASless

Received 517 Likes on 215 Posts
Reely makes good points as does Gouli but the truth is we are assuming the Pilot moved the Transfer Switches to the OFF position prior to the Crash and that the Prime Switches were turned ON by the Pilot.

As odd as those Switch positions were....they do in fact make sense in a left handed way if one assumes the Pilot mistakenly activated the Prime Switches thinking he had turned the Transfer Switches to the ON position.

That the Overhead Switch Panel made contact with the Glareshield Coaming does not guarantee any switches were moved by that contact or the G Forces sustained during the crash.

We do have to correlate other indications of what position the Transfer Pump Switches were in and had been in for at least long enough to generate the Caution/Warnings seen in the memory of the various systems.

It does appear the Pilot mistook the Prime Switches for the Transfer Switches in my view....as the suggestion during a Low Altitude loss of all engine power and the resulting loss of Avionics and other systems....the Pilot would be using the Prime Switches in an effort to restart the engines....but forget to ensure the Transfer Switches were in the ON position...seems a bit far fetched to me.

If I got a Fuel Low light in the 105/117/135....with their similar fuel system design....the first thing I would have done is ensure the Transfer Switches were on.....and would have done that check when I saw fuel low Lights illuminating.

In the dark....Single Pilot....with things going wrong...it would be very easy to confuse Transfer Switches for Prime Switches.