PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 24th Oct 2015, 17:55
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist
Personally I think that the current training pipelines spend enormous efforts trying to make it look like they treat people as individuals and not numbers.
True, Miss PN had to spend more time writing up failed applicants than successful ones.

you would be better off admitting that the process is still as subjective as it ever was and let the experienced instructors get on with weeding out the unsuitable?
As it happens that was the conclusion reached by an Army psychologist in report published in Air Clues over 25 years ago.

You didn't even have to be an instructor in that discipline. Mrs PN and I attended the Meet and Greet for my studes starting their navigation training. After an hour or so we left. We then individually rated the studes not just as pass/fail but how far they would progress. The one we rated top is an AVM, the only difference we had was the order of two of the failures. Our pass/fail assessment was spot on with one borderline stude passing but he didn't make the frontline.

Less I am accused of fiddling the stats, they had 3 phases to pass and they all got to phase 2. How much money, time, and reduced stress had we been able to chop in the first week on gut instinct.