PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 24th Oct 2015, 11:31
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devonian

Interesting to hear you say that.

A couple of questions.

1. Do you honestly believe that the current standard of training gives a better output to the frontline in terms of aircrew ability/capability/knowledge/experience/airmanship?

Personally, I think that for many reasons the current output standards are far lower in many areas.

2. If you asked a member of CFS from the bad old days of "pre-1990", do you think they would consider themselves awful, or would they say "I would like to assure them that current CFS methods are very professional, effective and fair."

Self given compliments and references are worthless.

ShotOne

By complete chance, despite not being an actual instructor in any way, I have in fact taught aviation technical skills to members of the SAS.

The issue of punchy shoutyness never came up for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they were inhumanly good at everything with an amazing learning curve.

Secondly, perhaps due to previous hardening up in earlier training, they did not seem like anything short of a nuclear strike would even raise an eyebrow let alone a bullying complaint. They certainly took banter well and had no need for any extra stressors applied by some soft WAFU to get them able to operate under pressure.