PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time logging p1, p1s, PUT etc etc
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2015, 05:35
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Step Turn
Totally agreed. So how is that different from a club asking me to go and ride a circuit or two with a new pilot, to make sure they're okay to rent to? I tell new pilot that they are PIC, and I will discuss with them in advance any action I might take to take control of the aircraft. 'Seems the same either way to me....
If the flight can't occur without you in the right seat for any reason, legal currency requirement, insurance requirement, even some dubious club rule, whatever; then you are the PIC for the duration of the flight and IMO it needs to be crystal clear to everyone that:

1) If you say "I have control" the guy/gal in the left seat will immediate relinquish control, and

2) "suggestions" you give during the flight are meant to be considered as helpful advice and will be acted upon, not ignored

However if at the end of the flight I was not required to do much more than admire the scenery, I think it is entirely reasonable for me to say "you did not need me" so I am happy to be considered a passenger and you go ahead and log the flight as PIC.

I suppose this is not entirely within the letter of the law but it removes all ambiguity about who is in charge during the actual flight and rewards competent performance.