PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 Bear Badge
Thread: 10 Bear Badge
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 23:37
Tengah Type

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fortissimo #30 & TTN #3

Ref the Tremblers F4 in a spot of bother. We were the Tansor crew that rescued them. We had just finished refelling Q2 off the NW Irish coast, whilst shadowing a Bear, when we were asked by Benbecula if we could help a " Slow Gin " (USAF F4 from Iceland) that was short of fuel. We told them that we were unable to refuel USAF F4s as the systems were not compatible, but offered out services to assist if we were able. Asked to vector NW to assist, which we did.

It transpired that Q1, who was without Tanker support, had been shadowing another Bear and been briefed to stay to PLE and then divert to Keflavik. They had assumed that the Bear was en-route to Cuba, but it was actually heading for the Bay of Biscay. On leaving the Bear to go to Keflavik they found that they were a long way South of where they thought they were and had no chance or getting to Keflavik. Remember they had no INS.
They headed towards Stornoway with no hope of getting there either, but with the tailwind they would be nearer to land than if they went North.

After vectors from the USAF AWACS we met them with an RV D about 250nm West of Stornaway. They took 14,000lbs fuel, which IIRC is the total fuel contents of a (by now) clean F4.

I was called into Ops the next morning at 0200 to talk to the B of E, who gave me the story from the F4 end. Mrs TT was most impressed (not). Still waiting for the thank you letter.

Wensleydale #21 Still got my tie, don't know if they are still available.