PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub: final AAIB report
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 22:34
RVDT

Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Not much in the report that was not already known.

Of interest and not mentioned in the report was the point that the aircraft being in the state it was in (double engine failure),
and if there was enough altitude to recover from the problem i.e. turn the transfer pumps back on and initiate a restart,
in a least ROD Autorotation speed of 60 knots, without having the SHED BUS SW in EMER, you would not
be able to get the fuel to transfer as the AFT TRANSFER pump is on the SHED BUS II unless you switched the SHED BUS SW to EMER.

On the point of shed bus logic and use - for me an Ops Manual change to operate at Night or IMC with it in EMER as the norm
could be appropriate.

Moons a go when operating a B205 in remote areas we operated with it in EMER all the time. Reason being - engine failure =
no HF - which was the only means of Comms = SOP.

There is also a hint that the prospect of an engine failure was not prepared for. When the first engine stopped the second
went into OEI limits. Normal prep for an impending engine failure or prior to stopping one intentionally is to reduce power.

The 135 like all other twins (except the single engine derivatives) have low inertia rotors inherent in the design.
I may have mentioned this before but the FADEC is so good it masks this characteristic.
If you have a failure of the remaining engine from high OEI which in this aircraft is plenty then you possibly need to be a bit sharper
than your SE brethren at entry to autorotation.

I have flown the 105 and 117 and once we turned the Transfer Pumps ON....they stayed ON until the Shutdown Procedure after landing.

Are there any real reason that could not be the policy for the 135?
Old style Globe pumps and the characteristics of the tanks in the 135 may be different. New TESTFUCHS pumps are up for it and that was mentioned
in the report as a future change which will require Software, RFM changes and certification.

This accident is hard to fathom and somewhere there is more to it. If all things were operating as normal which they appear
to have been it would have been lit up like a Xmas tree and barking at you.

As to fitting FDR's CVR's etc. It may have helped fathom a few things but possibly not the reasons for them.
I don't think they are as effective in this case as most would believe but agree that they are better than nothing.