PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's be frank...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 21:01
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Thirteen responses so far and a depth of pessimism I have never previously seen, even on this forum.

This is surely a reflection of the current industry situation, albeit a jaundiced one considering the sample space of those here.

GA has fulfilled my dreams for travel, experience and the ability to meet a huge amount of aviation minded people. It's been a hard road but after 40 years in the industry I have ticked a lot of boxes. I only ever wanted to fly GA and the thought of being stuck on a tin tube, sharing sectors with the AP and the FO never appealed.

I have ended up with lots of ratings endos and several foreign certificates licences etc, flown in about 30 countries, and clocked up a fair few hours, every one of them a real experience. Still flying and gaining qualifications and moving up into even more interesting roles. GA has a lot to offer. It's not all instructing and scenics.

The bad news, I am financially miles behind the airlines friends I have, I even earn less than an acquaintance of mine who works on a night railways repair crew by a factor of half. And works similar hours.

It cost me a marriage and a dislocated relationship with my first two children, the toughest bit. It almost turned me alcoholic being away so much, and flying all day in rural and remote locations, but kept my eyes on the prize, even when it was tough, and the outlook was bleak.

I have worked for liars and opportunists, but after a while I got to the stage of selecting my bosses, not the other way round. Eventually I became sought as a reliable and capable throttle jockey by people who have given me amazing opportunities, if not vast amounts of $$$$$$

It can be very rewarding, but it is not simple or easy and there are few good jobs, there are plenty of shonks, above and below you, BUT, there is life there if you persist, and are a half reasonable pilot who is honest and reliable.

Cheers

HD