PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 14:04
Lou Scannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFTS Syerston 1960.

I was allocated two instructors in sequence who felt that the whole business of having to fly with students was beneath them and they should have been back on Hunters (even though one had only managed the right seat on Shackletons!).

Both shouting and screaming like nervous schoolgirls at any error rather than calm rational instructing. I learned more in one ground briefing from an old Master Pilot (Jock Naismith) than I did in hours of being trapped in a JP cockpit with these two.

Later, time spent working with the Psychologists at IAM Farnborough taught me the value of psychological screening of people and how it should have been employed to elliminated this type of idiot from the system...and saved a fortune in aircraft time.

One advantage was that all the subsequent students I taught on larger aircraft benefitted from this Syerston experience and , I hope, were treated in a decent and professional manner.