PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 727 vs 747 cruise speeds
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2003, 22:47
CAT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The story of pulling CB's and not telling the F/E is not neccassarily true. To me, it sounds extremely unlikely. I've tried it in the sim and there is no performance advantage in deploying trailing edge flap at altitude in the 727: in fact, it slows down. The NTSB's case was based on the F/E saying he'd left his seat for a minute before the incident: he later said he had not in fact left the flight deck but had merely deposited some food trays at the rear of the flight deck. This was omitted from the NTSB's report. Also, the idea of pulling CB's without telling the F/E, who sits right next to them, is ridiculous.
It was also claimed the captain had erased the CVR: this was impossible, as the gear was so damaged during the extension at M1.1 that the ground/air switch could not have been functioning. The FDR cannot be erased without the aircraft being on the ground with all three engine driven generators offline and the parking brake set.
The actual cause was most likely an uncommanded deployment of No.7 leading edge device: there have been other instances of this occuring, including to a friend of mine (luckily at low speed). Easier to blame the crew than ground the type.