PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part finished UK PPL now moving to Oz
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 10:46
AndrewMcD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part finished UK PPL now moving to Oz

Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to get a provisional offer of a relocation from the UK to Oz. New job, new company, sponsored visa provided so happy days all round (assuming there are no last minute slips).

I'm currently part way through my PPL. I have 4 exams finished (Air Law, Human Performance, Ops, Met), a little over 30 hours including 2 solo and I'm moving into Nav with the first couple of longer flights down and I'm about to do my first solo jaunts outside the circuit to practice rejoins, etc. Loving it and frustrated by it in equal measure...

The new job will subsidize the move but not pay for it which means I am going to have to mothball the training when I get to the end of my current block as moving the family (and dog!) will cost a fortune. Once I get bedded in down there I can pick up again, so does anyone have any idea what are the differences (in simple terms) between the Oz PPL curricula and the UK? I assume I'll have to redo my exams but my hours will count? And the practicalities I have learned will all be the same I hope - radio, flight planning, circuit procedures are all more or less carry over?

I'm probably going to be in Sydney (possibly Melbourne though) so recommendations on flight schools and clubs also welcome.

Thanks!