PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road trip part 2 - Santa Monica to Calgary
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 06:24
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Day 7 - Tofino and Hot Springs Cove

I decided to stay another day in Tofino because a) the weather was lovely and b) my friends in Victoria were not yet home.

I woke to the sound of a Beaver taking off and this view outside:

After a very satisfying breakfast of bacon and eggs at a coffee shop, I strolled down to the Tofino Air office on the dock.

"Any chance of a right-seat ride-along in your Beaver today?"
"Let me check the schedule."

Checks computer

"Be here at 3:15. We've got a charter going to Hot Springs Cove. One hundred bucks, OK?"
"Done."

So with time to kill, I drove south out of town to have a look at the beaches. Beautiful beaches with lots of surfing in very cold water. Thick wet-suits or dry-suits required!

Since the Japanese tsunami, there is a heightened sensitivity to the risk created by earthquakes. The local council has installed tsunami warning sirens at its own expense - the Federal Government would not pay for them - and there are warning signs along low-lying roads:

In a pub in town, there is a slightly different take on the advice:

Wandering along a dock after lunch, I noticed that the local Mountie has 500 horses, rather then just one:

On my way back to Tofino Air, I took a picture for Sir George Cayley:
For your next trip can I ask for automobiles and hot chicks as well?

The hot chick pictures will come in a plain brown envelope.

Then it was time for my trip. I had flown in a Turbo Beaver many years ago, but this was my first trip (20 minutes each way) in a "round engine" one:

Beavers don't fly fast and when you have miles of runway beneath you, there is no need to fly high:

Set your volume control to "11", particularly at 2m25. A wonderful experience - I now want a checkout!

In the evening, I decided to eat at a Sushi restaurant. Wonderful food:

and a great view:

but much to my surprise, a bunch of exquisite scale models hanging from the ceiling:

I talked to the owner about them. I'll do a separate post of the pictures and how he came to acquire them.

Last edited by India Four Two; 23rd Oct 2015 at 21:59.