PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Carrier Announces Ab Initio Program
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 04:15
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Interesting, But...

A Very Interesting program and I wish JB every success. However, with the exception of some variations in the course work and FF simulators used, I cannot imagine any huge differences between their G7 program and the traditional academic degrees offered in the field by several established universities. Both are expensive and both take about four years. For the longer term, a 'real' degree is probably of more value; the G7 closer to a comprehensive meal ticket.
That mouthful said, JB may believe that they have no other choice, given the 1500 hour requirements. JB may be first to play around with this, but where is their guarantee that they will complete even one full (4-year) cycle? Other U.S. carriers may try similar programs. My suggestion would be that they keep extremely high standards, fill their classes with pilots who are already graduates of the existing programs (but with the 'wrong' kinds of hours), pay them a small stipend and convert these already well educated pilots into JB pilots. It would be much faster, probably produce far better rounded pilots and avoid the stigma of "Trade Schools Selling Jobs." Ask yourself this: "How many U.S. pilots already have a 4-year degree, between 1000 and 1500 hours, but the 'wrong kind' of hours? I'd guess a LOT! That is the pilot pool that JB should be targeting. Again, I have to wonder how long JB can (or will) sustain this program. Total cost is relevant. Employment upon successful completion is relevant. The carriers need pilots and the pilots need jobs, but the ATP/hour rules interject a major disconnect. The 'suitable' pilot-candidates do not need four more years. Twelve or perhaps 18 months of additional work should produce a qualified FO. (Far better than some Asian programs that convert novices to Jet Transport Pilots with 251 hours, the ones that I call Shake & Bake Pilots. How often do we see S&B pilots mentioned in accident reports?)
As before, retired and not my axe to grind. Still, I'm interested in your thoughts.