PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time logging p1, p1s, PUT etc etc
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 22:05
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the instructor is not eager for you to log checkout time as P1, find a new instructor. Does your license entitle you to fly the plane as PIC? Are you flying from the seat customarily occupied by PIC? Are you flying the plane? Why would you not be P1?
Because.......
But, the aircraft owner would like the PPL to demonstrate their recency under their commercial 28 day rule. They require an instructor to ride through a check flight with PPL.
To perform a crew function during flight the person must be duly qualified but the converse is not true. Just because someone is qualified does not mean they have to be performing any crew function - and it is function time that is recorded in log books.

P1 = PIC = In Command = Person legally responsible for flight and who, therefore, has absolute (dictatorial) authority during the flight to make all, or any, decisions they choose and to take all, any or no actions they choose.

In EASA land it is very simple: Only one person can be in command, and therefore log, PIC. I know there are certain ceircumstances under FAA rules whereby two pilots can log PIC at the same time and this, to me, seems VERY confusing

Honest question, 'cause I don't know, if an airline Captain is flying a route check left seat with a check pilot to their right, who is PIC?
Left seat = PICUS (P1/s) (or Co-Pilot (P2)) if Check Pilot not happy with their performance.)
Right seat = PIC

Note that, under EASA, PICUS can only be recorded during multi crew operations or some integrated flying courses and in the UK (only?) for successful Flight Test or Proficiency Check candidates.

I think the bottom line is:
- If Insurance or Group/Club rules specify a checkout with an Instructor they are expecting someone to exercise the functions of an Instructor during the check flight and, therefore, the checkee has to be PUT.
- If Insurance or Group/Club rules specify a checkout with an experienced pilot then it can be decided before flight who will be PIC however, for all the reasons listed in other posts, I think PIC should be the Checker with the Checkee being a passenger and recording nothing in their logbook.
- If Insurance or Group/Club rules require a minimum number of logged hours in that make/model of aircraft then the pilot would have to fly them as PUT with an Instructor.
- If Insurance or Group/Club rules require a minimum number of logged PIC time in that make/model of aircraft then the pilot cannot fly that Group/Club's aircraft until they have the required PIC hours - and they will need to go somewhere else.