PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUBLIN - 2
Thread: DUBLIN - 2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 18:43
CCR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamie2k, you have great knowledge of aviation in Ireland from your posts but you clearly have no understanding on the railways...
There certainly is demand for an hourly Cork-Dublin rail service..otherwise it would`t be there. In fact, Irish Rail even added an extra early morning express service to the Cork-Dublin schedule recently due to demand!
The Cork-Dublin route is far far busier than the Dublin-Belfast route. Just check the stats!!
Pax from Kerry join the Cork-Dublin train at Mallow and Limerick passengers at Limerick Junction. The train to Dublin is always very busy when I travel and I should know as I travel between Belfast and Cork regularly!

The reason that we don`t have a rail line to Dublin airport is that the Irish cannot seem to do long term planning very well unlike our European neighbours.
Was listening to the Last Word on TodayFM today and a rail expert confirmed my thoughts on this, it`s all about the lack of long term planning in Ireland. (The burial of the DART underground is the most recent case).
The lack of a rail link to Dublin airport suits a lot of vested interests so I have little hope it will ever happen too.
Sin é

Last edited by CCR; 22nd Oct 2015 at 18:56.