PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European vs. American Approach Charts
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2002, 10:00
hvassk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post European vs. American Approach Charts

Here I am trying to broaden my horizons and I can't figure out two items from European approach charts. Maybe someone out there can enlighten me. . .. .1. So far, all charts I've looked at have an . .OCA(H) listed in the profile view. Then there is a list of approach categories (A,B,C...) with associated MSL and AGL altitudes. Beneath the approach categories there is a GS out altitude and height. The GS out matches the LOC (GS out) MDA(H), however the other ones don't match anything else. It looks like this . .OCA(H) RWY 03 . .ILS A: 625(147) . .B: 635(157) . .C: 647(169) . .D: 661(183) . .GS out: 760(282) . .The legend is no help, it just tells me that it's the Obstruction Clearance Altitude (Height). Well, duh, even I figured that one out. . .So, what are those heights exactly and where are they measured from? There must be some point on the ground that I fly over in my C172 at 625 feet while I pass it at 661 feet in B747. These numbers are not listed on any American approach chart.. .. .2. On some charts there is listed Rwy Elev: 17 hPa. I am assuming that this is for QFE if a crew was interested in that. . .. .Anybody have any suggestions? Not even a phone call to Jeppesen has been helpful, because I can't speak to a live person.