PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's be frank...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 13:38
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, since we're being frank, going bush for your first job is hardly new in this country, that's what I had to do for a few years (some decades ago). It turned out to be some of the best fun I have ever had, once I eventually found a job.

The good news could be that many of your colleagues are thinking the same as you, and may not go through with it, meaning less pilots competing with you for the jobs.

It has always been the case that if you really want it badly enough, you'll get there. If you don't, you probably won't. So that's the decision you need to be making. A couple of kids makes it harder, granted, but not impossible.

Just when I thought I'd never find my first job, I found one, but I worked hard to find it - travelling around the outback and meeting people. But it wouldn't have come up if I'd been sitting at home in a big city just mailing out out resumes. You do have to get out there, unless you are just lucky enough to have something land in your lap. With a raw CPL, it's your personality, attitude and drive that gets you your first job, not your ace flying skills. So the fact that you are questioning it now may say something about your attitude and drive - don't let your potential first employer know that!

The choice between MECIR and instructor rating depends on what you are hoping for or expecting for your first job. If you land a charter job, the instructor rating is useless. If you land an instructing job, an MECIR is useless (initially). So research is required into what kind of job you are likely to get (as a first job). Instructing will probably keep you closer to an urban centre, but is anyone hiring raw CPL instructors presently? I don't know. Up to you to find out. Regardless, you will need a MECIR eventually for a good job, but instructing may be better for your first job, in your situation, if you can find one.

There are still rewarding flying careers out there. Good luck with your decision making.