PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's be frank...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 11:01
radiodude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's be frank...

So I've been reading on this forum and other aviation blogs that a career in aviation is not worth chasing because you'll:

A) Won't find a job
B) Work for almost nothing if you're lucky to have a job
C) End up bitter and twisted and leave aviation mainly because of A and B plus dealing with the selected few dishonest/used car salesman type in the industry.

I know that everyone isn't like that because I'm VERY lucky to know and flown with some of the most experienced pilots who would do anything for anyone.

But let's be frank...

How much of the talk is true when it comes to no work or continuous low income? For me I've already invested $20,000 to gain a PPL. I've saved another $30,000 to make that a CPL... So there $50,000 gone! Now that's just the start. Ad another $20,000 for an instructor rating and if I wanted another $23,000 for an instrument rating (ill get to that in a sec).

So we invest this much money to train for jobs that don't exist... Paid very low whilst putting up with mean/selfish/awful people? I don't understand.

NOW the OPEN question... There's talk that there'll be a need for xxxxxx pilots soon. Where I ask? Ok maybe some new Asian airlines will compete locally but that's not enough get GA pilots into RPT... And GA jobs. Where have they gone and why have they gone?

Once I finish my CPL I'll get an instructor rating... Will I find any work in Sydney? Would it be wise to get a MECIR as well or would that be a waste as it won't be used so early in a career... And non instructing jobs. What is there? It'll be hard to leave 2 kids to go chase charter that might never come through.

I'm scratching my head thinking... Will it get better?... Will Avaition grow like it deserves?...

Let's be frank and discuss...