PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 07:58
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach Two
I have seen people, more recently, complain about being given a frank, honest, gloves off debrief. People don't like to be told bad things about their performance. I would agree that the totally straight approach to debriefing comes across as harsh to some people, especially some youngsters that have grown up in a fluffy environment where no one is allowed to experience failure. But sooner or later, the kids have to be told that "doing that will get you and others killed."
Back at AITC in the 80s, taught opening phrase for diabolical sortie debrief, "OK Bloggs, thought you prepared well for that trip. Putting your name on each log sheet before flight was a good time saver.

Now, it would be better if you collected the latest docs, used a new chart, and brought some pencils rather than a blunt chinagraph. You settled in well with most of your kit but were a bit slow to remember you had forgotten your helmet '
. . . "

In contrast, on the next phase of training, if late for met brief the instructors took the sortie and left the studes, apologies and all, behind. School of hard knocks worked.