PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What constitutes a "Clear Runway"
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2003, 20:46
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea of marking the position of the holding point is to keep a safe distance between an aircraft at the holding point and the extremities of the largest aircraft that the aerodrome is planned to accomodate.

As an example if say, some time in the future, a large RAF base at Bedford was opened as a licensed airfield complete with full markings but no ATC.......the runway and holding points are capable for catering for very large aircraft indeed.

Thus, with regard to aircraft who have passed beyond the holding point while awaiting departure or aircraft who have yet to cross the holding line after landing, IMHO, provided that the landing surface is clear then it is up to the personal judgement of the pilot landing or taking off to decide taking into account at least the following factors:

1. With regard to the size of my aircraft....will the proximity of the aircraft and my ability to make a "near centerline arrival or departure" cause any danger.

2. With regard to the aircraft awaiting departure.....is it stationary? or is it moving further forward?....can I be sure that the pilot is aware (assume non radio) of my approach or is it simply a temporary pause in a process of lining up?

3. With the previous arriving aircraft having vacated the runway surface....are they continuing in the right direction or (as happened to me) have they simply ran off the edge and are about to re-appear back on again?

I could go on but like 99.99% of aviation it is judgement on the pilot's part that is required.

Formation Flyer,

judging by your statement, the landing pilot may have been operating just as safely as you;

1. The arriving pilot reported final "2 on"...only one aircraft at a time allowed on the runway...possible exemption for formation departure?

2. IMHO that arriving pilot judged it perfectly...unless their landing run passed under your aircraft as it climbed away

3. Radios are not required and landing aircraft have priority. Thus departing aircraft should not line up until they are ready to depart and should give way to aircraft on final approach. Thus twisting your argument slightly, would it not have been safer and more within the rules if you had waited at the hold for the aircraft ahead to depart safely and then having checked no aircraft on final, departed your self? Just an idea.....but I expect that if you had done so, you would have been required to hold for the landing aircraft?

Perhaps it is a bit of the old Pot and Kettle argument?

IMHO, too much reliance is given to radio and not enough to simple lookout and common sense.

Regards,

DFC