PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 22nd Oct 2015, 07:20
Duchess_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have grown up in a fluffy environment where no one is allowed to experience failure.
It had already started way way back. WRT the ´Fighter Pilot' series in episode 1, first door on the left to be told you're going to be disappointed.

Examiner standards have us now informing students that they 'didn't meet the required standard.' I seem to recall some years ago that the education system started referring to 'deferred passes...'

Some students seem 'shocked' when I point out they actually have to work (and work hard) to get the licence/rating rather than just getting it out of a box of Rice Krispies.

Never shouted or struck a student in all my instructional days (tempted often) but will admit to the odd 'sigh of frustration' and even though it is bad technique the odd bit of sarcasm does creep in. When you have to remind people that they want to be responsible for the lives 189 strangers, huggy fluffy doesn't always work, and unfortunately, the economics of the business I'm in doesn't allow them too many attempts to get it right.