PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student pilot having to change schools
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2015, 19:40
TheBiggerD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What?

"Let me think? (not to hard to) you have been to a US sausage factory, made to fly twice as much as you would have had to in the UK, spent twice as much as a PPL would have cost you in the UK (about $12,000) and you are still waiting for a check ride?
And when you come back to the UK, you will have to be taught how to navigate and the correct procedure for carrying out stalls!!"

What? Are you serious? I was an FAA CFI and still keep my certificates current; but this is one of the more ridiculous things I have read on PPRUNE....I instructed JAA CPL guys that came to the States to hour build and was shocked at what I saw with some of them.....Navigating around the LA basin in all the Bravo and Charlie airspace was an eye opener for most of them...All that JAA bravado went down the tube real fast and they got super quiet when they needed to speak with ATC...So much for being experts at navigation.... FAA PPLs not knowing the correct procedure for stall recovery???WTF...Sorry buddy, they need to know that before they'd get a solo signoff ...FAA student pilots and PPL applicants perform stall recovery in their training as well as the check-ride ..... Read up on FAR 61.87 and the FAA PPL PTS....So yeah, keep talking nonsense....

I'm willing to bet that it takes just a bit longer to train in high density airspace areas like So. Cal for example than it does in the middle of nowhere in the UK. I flew with PPL's that got their certificate in 45 hours in the middle of Kansas and had the look of a deer caught in headlights when we would go flying around in So Cal.....Whereas the So Cal trained pilots (or pilots trained in other areas in the US with complex airspace) were at ease flying anywhere in the US.

On the flip side, there were also a lot of great JAA pilots that I had the pleasure of instructing...

Last edited by TheBiggerD; 21st Oct 2015 at 20:08.