PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taceval, Maxival and Minival
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2015, 09:52
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tone down and blackout

Just been reminded of something and connecting with what ORAC said about Russian intentions on the Lightning thread.

Tome down hit the UK big time in 1973 with pretty blue and yellow being replaced with mucky green cloak of invisibility and reflective yellow for visibility. Hangar doors were painted green and white window frames painted green too. Shares in the Green Paint company would have soared.

Stn Cdr at Wittering demanded that DOE (Destroyers of Everything) paint the hangar doors green. They did; emerald green. Germany had all the tone down green. Went well with the staish's red complexion.

Then for Tacevals we had blackout. Now it might have worked for real but just had the effect of creating black holes - bomb here. Except both schemes had one tiny little floor.

On a long range bomber every thing is black and green and missiles see nothing at all. The powers that be totally forgot the advances in blind bombing since the 1940s.

PS

On an associated note, Ordnance Survey mapping of the 60s and before showed blank areas where there were airfields. Then, as more and more airfields went in to C&M the surveyors added the buildings, roads, taxiways and runways. Some bases had only gone into C&M as part of the Cold War buildup so perfectly detailed mapping of the prime targets was available to anyone for 6/8d.