PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XV574 - Yeovilton landing incident question...
Old 21st Oct 2015, 08:42
Take That

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The incident occurred on 27 July 1989. XV574 was positioning from Culdrose, where it had appeared at the Air Show. It was to join with the crew of XV572, who had landed at Yeovilton earlier that morning, conduct some Lynx affil, and then both aircraft remain in-situ for Yeovolton's Air Show.

At that time, the piano keys on the western runway were right at the end, ie, there was no inset of any description. I don't know if that has changed since. Furthermore, there was a pronounced lip at the end of the runway. I cannot recall if XV574 initially made contact with the grass marginally short of the runway or the lip, but both main gear tyres impacted the lip with such force (SOP for an F4 landing) that both tyres exploded with an explosive effect to cause damage to the undercarriage, undercarriage doors, underwing panels and flaps. There was damage to the lip too, with debris scattered over the immediate area. The arrester hook was lowered and the approach end cable engaged. It was hangared out of site; XV572 still appeared in the static display. The crew of XV574 were flown back to Leuchars the next day in one of the Admiral's barges.

I cannot recall what happened to XV574 after this incident, certainly it never appeared in my log book again. However, if you can get access to the Squadron F540, that will answer your questions.