PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2015, 21:51
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think you got the wrong idea from my posts.
I was just trying to point out that there IS something wrong with at least the TR control and how it feels to experienced pilots. IIRC one of these NZ accidents involved tow CPLs, where the G2 student had much more hours experience thant the G2 FI himself. If such guys end up with a bent airframe during training then something urgently needs attention.

Originally Posted by Freewheel
Not true. I was shown a 360 with power applied and pedals unchanged at the bottom of a standard descent profile. yaw ceased in less than another 30 degrees.
I still have the same question regarding that: How much room would be necessary for this recovery? Instead of an answer all I got was a faint attempt of mocking my terminology.
What if the bottom of that mentioned descent profile is in a somewhat confined area? Is it really recoverable in practice under different conditions?
Probybably valid questions, however I don't know why I would want to do a 360 at the bottom of a standard app. profile.

Maybe my training was sub par or I didn't pay attention but TRC failures with the TR still spinning (the only type of TR failure you can safely practize) can always be filed between "pedal stuck at power-on", "pedal stuck at power-off" or any point in between.
When stuck at power-on, e.g. 25° AoA at the S-300C TR, with decreasing airspeed the TR will eventually overpower the weather vane effect, thus I'd have to slip sideways to the right, and when crossing the runway at an angle I'd add fwd. cyclic and put down the pitch, to screach along the runway axis with hopefully no yaw.
When stuck at power-off, I'd again come in doing 50kts in 3feet AGL, and gradually back off fwd. cyclic to precisely before I'd loose the nose's attitude to the right, then I'd lower the pitch and move cylic in direction of the skids.
Maybe the coupling of pitch down with throttle off in the 300C makes torque control that easy, maybe this would lead to disaster in a G2 with governor..

Now, the "normal app. profile" I've been trained to follow is to avoid the H-V curve, meaning "at the bottom" I'd have to be at 3-6 feet doing 50 kts. So who want to do a 360 at that time? At that point I don't care what kind of failure the TR might have been suffering from, the weather vane keeps me straight and at 6ft I'll survive with aforementioned procedures. I have to demonstrate that at every annual review, and habitually do order an hour FI in mid year to keep emergency procedures fresh.

The TR failures the G2 crash guys seem to practize (TR failure in HIGE) appeare to me to be addressed in rather strange ways (messing with RRPM) instead of "landing immediately".

TR failure in HOGE I'd counter by immediately sticking the cyclic 45° into the direction the tail wants to swing (pick up speed) and increase or decrase (height permitting) pitch accordingly. When mandated by environment I'd pace to a nearby airfield to do the landing procedures mentioned above BUT being a PPL I shouldn't be in HOGE outside an airfield/LZ to begin with

But then again it could be them G2 students/FIs were training for other emergencies than those I've been introduced to, I'm just a newbie. If I'm missing something important please do not hesitate to explain it to me, besides the entertainment I'm lurking at pprune to learn from the pros.