PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 20th Oct 2015, 07:53
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am surprised one of the stars of the early part of Fighter Pilot hasn't commented on this. He was writing a book on the series, giving the true account, which I for one eagerly await! Where are you Martin?
My own experience and one which my Ex CO and I can laugh about now was not a happy one. Maybe I was just rubbish, I was eager to learn, but it just didn't happen for me, much to my dismay. Fighter Pilot was a very similar experience to what I had. Being whacked around the head didn't help either , sweating in a Bulldog cockpit. The chop when it came was EFATO, which I had never been shown.

Fast forward ten years later, I had to try again. Very nice ,calm, relaxed local flying club instructor, never once raised his voice or more importantly hand. Went solo after 7 hours and more ratings followed. The instructor is now a senior 767 Captain.

Personally I put it down to my being too young. My peers never seem to have had any trouble however. For all the disappointment that it brought, I wouldn't have missed it for the world and for that Boss I thank you!