PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Instructors - steely eyed or gentle and supportive ?
Old 20th Oct 2015, 01:06
Fonsini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are good, it was indeed the JP training sequence from Fighter Pilot I was referring to - I picked up a 3 pack of "wannabee FP" DVDs including "Combat Pilot" and "617 - The Last Days Of a Vulcan Squadron".

I also clearly remember the original early Fighter Pilot series even now - right from the initial interviews and those strange follow-the-dots hand/eye coordination machines all the way through to the final selection where (as if by TV magic) only one of the entrants made it through to fly an actual Fighter, a milkman if I remember correctly and he went on to Buccaneers - strange facts stick in the memory. The scene where the Air Minister asked for questions from the students expecting them to ask about seats in the (then) new Tornado only to be caught off-guard with numerous complaints about them not getting their promised holidays was a particular highlight.

The "Creamie" concept in the RAF always surprised me, student straight to instructor with no squadron service always struck me as odd - I wonder if other established air forces do something similar, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the process.

I've done my own share of adult teaching, albeit in a different profession and I can testify that knocking the confidence out from under any student almost always guarantees a poor performance.

Kudos to those of you who made it through, I very much doubt I would have made it.