PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPRuNe Threads and CAIR used as evidence by CASA in suspension decisions
Old 2nd Jul 2003, 18:04
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currawong: On my reading of the Tribunal’s decision (at the link above), Mr Edwards was the Chief Pilot but his approval as Chief Pilot was suspended by CASA. The operator then got approval for another person to be Chief Pilot. CASA later cancelled Mr Edwards’ Commercial and ATPL licences, on the basis of circumstances similar to those that were the basis of the decision to suspend the approval for him to be Chief Pilot. The decisions under review by the Tribunal are just the decisions to cancel the licences.

Everyone note: the tribunal has simply “stayed” CASA’s cancellation decisions – that is, the Tribunal has in effect restored the status quo until the substantive hearing of the merits of those decisions has occurred. For Torres: when I said “it will be interesting to hear how the final hearing goes”, I was referring to the final hearing of the Tribunal.

For the record, I originally started this thread under the “Reporting Points” heading. I am surprised that is has been moved here, first because there was no notice in Reporting Points that the thread had been moved, and secondly, because I think the implications of CASA’s decision in this case reach beyond GA.

Think about it: CASA cancelled a CPL and ATPL on grounds that included the content of threads on PPRuNe and CAIR reports. It might be true to say that the practical impact will be greater for GA, but I don’t think it’s true to say that there are no possible implications for the interests of heavy metal drivers.