PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Check on final
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2015, 10:08
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RAT 5
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say, or meaning. Perhaps there is a typo. Would you please clarify. I do agree that the TDZ point, assuming the correct speed, is more relevant then a couple of kts extra tailwind.
The part you quoted is just a rant, sorry.

I mean to say that to avoid RWY excursions all we need to do is go missed when touchdown is too far. And for this, a little sim excercise would be nice; just like we do with (no)visual contact at DH. Because classroom knowledge will not be enough at that moment once we will find ourselves for the first time on a far side of an high energy touchdown. A time-honored drill of discontinuing a long landing could make a lot of difference.

B: The in-flight calculations are nice, but apart from consumig valuable (thinking of 4 sectors MUC-AMS with deice and no APU) time, especially when needing to use side mounted EFB, they will not prevent anything. What you find is that the LDA < LDR, that's all. Like I said, a rant.

take care, FD.

Several posts imply that because there are safety margins (factors) then these can be ‘used’ before the event.
In case my post is one of them, I apologize. I am a firm believer that margins are provided only for those cases when something unforseen happens.