PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 18th Oct 2015, 20:57
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 426 Likes on 225 Posts
I think what SAS, and to a degree myself, are saying is that when deciding what minima is acceptable, is left totally up to the pilot, only his skill and experience will dictate if the departure is or is not safe to complete.
This is why I would support a clear set of weather minima, as long as they are not overly restrictive. There is an increasing experience gap in the onshore corporate market. What may be perfectly safe for one pilot may be beyond the limits of another. Many of the more experienced pilots of recent times have now reached retirement age. Because of the economic downturn over the past few years, there have been fewer coming into the role and learning from the more experienced. The two pilots involved in this accident were by no means amongst the most experienced flying in the corporate role for private owners. It's quite possible that this was the first time they had ever tried to operate in such poor visibility.