PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST CITY AIRPORT (BHD)
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2015, 14:46
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mart901
Exactly, totally agree. Let the best airport win. Both Belfast airports have advantages of their own and as panpanpanpan states it brings competition. BFS have transatlantic, charter, low cost airlines in particular U2, 24 hr operations. City have an unrivalled location, a train station adjacent, quality airlines with connection services. Let them both get on with it and compete.
No. Just No. Let the best airport win is not helping aviation in N.I. it is just maintaining the lack of direction from politicians. City doesn't have an unrivalled position because it can never house the larger aircraft. Even if they can take the 321 on occasion (and I believe they are restricted to make it in/out), I would imagine quite a few pilots having to retire early with stress if they were flying it in there all the time. It has curfew which doesn't suit freight or low cost carrier logistics. It has a painfully short runway. The train station doesn't make much difference in N.I. because our rail network is rubbish and slow. The quality airlines you mention hold the airport to ransom for cheaper deals because they know the airport has to keep them or they close.

These are the reasons why we should consolidate aviation in N.I. to BFS because the business folks would still fly from there and it is only 25 mins up the road from Belfast and easier to get to for a lot of the rest of the country.

I know that wouldn't suit everyone but the way we are going only helps DUB.