PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 18th Oct 2015, 09:01
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 426 Likes on 225 Posts
DB,

Shy, I presume you approve of punching into cloud from a near hover, climbing out on an un surveyed flight path, effectively blind and deaf to any other traffic you could be climbing into.
No sir, I do not!

I refer you back to my previous post. I've highlighted the relevant part:

What is needed is sufficient forward visibility and sufficiently high cloudbase for a safe transition to a climb clear of obstacles to be made, followed by a safe transfer onto instruments whilst climbing to MSA for the IFR/IMC transit. Provided the takeoff area is clear, with sufficient visual cues for a safe initial departure, it matters not that the aircraft isn't actually at an airport.
By the term "takeoff area is clear" I mean just that; i.e. you have determined yourself, on the day, that it is clear! If you are about to pick up pax and depart from a private site, by definition, you will have already flown in and are able to assess the best departure path.

Would you prefer instead "Scud running", i.e. where a pilot departs under low cloud and flies just clear of it whilst trying to maintain the 500 ft and 1,000ft rules for long distances? In these days of a huge increase in the numbers of very tall obstructions, springing up everywhere (many wind turbines are just below 500 feet in height)? I have tried both and I don't! Ideally, I get above MSA asap.

VFR traffic operating under cloud below 1,000 feet becomes "letterboxed in", in that it cannot climb because of low cloud above.

By doing so, you are likely to meet an obstruction or someone else doing a similar low level "VFR" transit, possibly with no transponder, or at best, with Mode A only. In marginal conditions, all VFR only traffic will be operating in the same shallow piece of airspace. At low level (below 1,000 feet), it's quite possible that neither of you have practical ATC coverage, certainly not under a radar service.

Unfortunately, much of the corporate role involves flying under IFR in Class G, often for part of it without good ATC radar coverage (because it simply isn't available, or is limited for ATC reasons, of which these days there are many). But at least IFR equipped aircraft are mandated to have Mode C which can be picked up by TCAS, and VFR only traffic won't be up there in IMC.