PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 18th Oct 2015, 08:08
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 426 Likes on 225 Posts
SASless, firstly, I see you have lost none of your charm; really no need to become aggressive.

I understand every bit of the term VMC, perhaps you are forgetting that it is my everyday job to know the difference, even though I operate a SPIFR machine in precisely the same role that G-LBAL was operated.

We are on a thread discussing an accident that took place in UK, outside controlled airspace, without ATC cover.

But disregarding that for one moment, please explain how you think that having ATC cover and an IFR clearance would have prevented this accident.

What is needed is a clear set weather limits pertaining to non PT, private site operations. The rules haven't been made "clear enough" in the past; as you might recall, there has been much discussion on this forum before about what weather limits do actually apply to this type of operation.

However, rules and regulations make absolutely no difference if a pilot (or both pilots, as in this particular situation) puts himself in a situation beyond his capabilities. Once away from the controlled airfield environment, it remains the sole responsibility of the captain to comply because any rule is otherwise unenforceable. Attempting to depart or land a helicopter in extremely poor visibility often simply doesn't work for the average pilot, especially if he hasn't been trained in that respect.