PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier offers majority stake in C Series to Airbus
Old 16th Oct 2015, 20:19
ExDubai

Location: Escaped the sandpit 53° 32′ 9.19″ N, 9° 50′ 13.29″ E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peekay

Airbus developed around the A320 a family of aircrafts with a common design and most important with a lot of common parts. This designfeature is helps a) keep production cost under control and b) is a hell of an sales argument when it comes to maintenence cost, etc. The other usp is the flight deck/type rating. So why should Airbus try and sell an Aircraft which doesn't fit into their productline?

The point is, if Airbus needs an Aircraft in the range of the CS 100, it will be a derivate of the A320 family because Airbus and their customers are able to take the full advantage of the common development/design. Bombardier is not really a competition for neither Airbus or Boeing. They are to small and they play in a total different league. Don't know if the figure is right but I heard that BMD is bleeding 400 Mio. Dollar/quarter. Plus the upcoming cost to ramp up the CSeries production, no clou where BDD will find the necessary cash for a CS 500 development.

Embraer has already a product which is a competition for Bombardier. So why should EMB be the "white knight". Embraer wouldn't start breaking out in tears if one of their main competitors is struggeling over the next years. BDD is loosing ground on the commercial and on the business/private jet market.

At the end of the day there are only 2 options for the financial problems of Bombardier. A) Foreign/Chinese money or B) the canadian tax payer.

Bombardier needs a large order from somebody like United. Currently I don't know if BDD is willing to pay the prize for such a kind of order (meaning selling them on a hugh discount).

Also interesting the current leasing rates/month
http://www.myairlease.com/resources/fleetstatus

Last edited by ExDubai; 16th Oct 2015 at 22:57. Reason: I hate my IPhone