PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2015, 20:05
Flugplatz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We don't know what they are going to say at the briefings, but assuming the worst doesn't happen, what alternative may be offered up? (other than a resumption of the existing system with all the aircraft deemed airworthy).

My own thoughts are running along the lines of either the Vigilant or Viking fleet being cut entirely. This binning of entire types seems to be the way the RAF have handled recent down-sizing and seems popular since it draws a line under the whole issue (with no chance of a come-back).

Assuming that either the Viking or Vigilant fleet gets removed from service, and there is no increase in the fleet that remains, it seems to me that something will have to give. The only thing I can come up with is that it would mean that full gliding courses and training to solo standard would be largely discontinued. The VGS's would become glorified 'air experience' flights only able to throughput large numbers of cadets if they only cover part of the existing syllabus. Possibly those who show aptitude and enthusiasm would then continue on to the full syllabus and solo on an 'advanced course' (currently available for post-solo consolidation).

The advanced course could be carried out at Syerston with an enlarged establishment or at specific nominated Squadrons.

Obviously the major drawback would be the gradual withering away of the A and B cats and their greater experience, plus the disincentive that not going solo would have on cadet retention.

I am not in favour of this, but am just surmising what alternatives may be being cooked up by those facing the long-term options. Any thoughts on what the fleet options are? I assume Vigilants would be for the chop not least because of their greater 'complexity' and all those new winches sitting already paid for.

Flug