PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taceval, Maxival and Minival
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2015, 12:05
OldAgeandTreachery

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mention of Memmingen brings back a memory whilst on 8Sqn. We were used by DISTAFF to test unit responses to a defecting Russian aircraft. With Soviet speakers on the sqn it gave a degree of authenticity to the exercise. Contact, approach and landing were carried out using them. We would be directed to a safe area of the airfield for interrogation. The crew on board would play a mixture of good Russkie and bad Russkie;it was up to the host force to find out who was who.

We deployed to Furstenfeldbruck on the Friday and spent a very enjoyable weekend in S Germany. I'd had a dodgy dinner on Sunday and was decidedly poorly throughout Monday.

Anyhoo, we landed at Memmingen, taxied in and shut down. As the AGE, I was allowed to deplane to fit the undercarriage locks then stand back to ensure no damage was caused to the airframe by overenthusiastic security staff.

Two of my groundcrew had volunteered to take part: One of whom was equipped with a pistol hidden in his groin area - a baddie!He was allowed to disembark
and was patted down by an armed guard;who missed the pistol. A little later he indicated to his guard that he desperately needed to relieve himself. Given permission, he turned his back, opened the zip of his flying suit and was withdrawing the pistol when he was spotted. The guard threw him face down, stood on his back then from a range of about two feet fired into him. There was a piercing scream from my man then stunned silence as the gathered throng realised what had just happened. Things happened very quickly from then: The scenario was shut down and my wounded man was attended to and taken to sick
quarters. Where he was treated.The offending article han't penetrated his skin so the area was cleaned and cream rubbed in and he was discharged!

We A/F and B/F'd the Shack and departed for Lossie only to find that they were on exercise and we were to be taking part! Trying their hand,the crew put in a call to Lossie Ops stating that they had, NODUFF, medical cases on board. One who had been shot and one suffering severe dehydration(me). Queried by Ops we confirmed our status and assumed we would be exempted the pain of a
Mineval.Not a frigging chance. Land, taxy to the tower where an ambulance will
take off your casualties;then continue to Sqn dispersal.

Me and my man were taken to SMC where the little rash around his wound had now spread all over his back. Turned out it was a reaction to the oil from the rifle.Other than more cream and the SMO threatening castration of the OIC at Memmingen,no further action was needed and afer filling me with salty liquid we were kept in overnight and sent home first thing with a sick note.Avoiding the rest of the mineval!