PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Check on final
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2015, 11:37
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. Simple question. So you can land safely on a given runway at Vref40 + 40 with a flap problem, but you are not allowed to do a normal F40 landing with a 20kts tailwind. Why? It can't be the LDR because that issue is covered.

I agree with the comment about Rhodes, having been there is some nasty Wx. However, it is always the commander's decision to deviate from an SOP in the interests of safety. Is an ILS on 25 with an extra 2kts better than an NPA onto RW07. No question.
What did guys do before OFDM's & FMC's. Has our decision making been made easier or the opposite? Have these written limitations, in combination, inhibited sound judgement and decision making?
If you have a choice between a straight in landing ILS with 25kts tail on a long runway, or a scratch around on a circle in 3km's vis OVC500 at night to the opposite runway in a place you've never been before. Which would you consider safer? The other option is divert to somewhere with no crew or much chance of pax overnighting etc. etc.
The runway can be calculated as long enough via NNC QRH LDR's. It's the >10kts tailwind that is the gotcha, not LDA > LDR.
Remember this is a light hearted discussion. I doubt we are going to change any rules over night.