PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The way we were - Ansett, TAA, Qantas
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2015, 10:05
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts
Slight thread drift

who used to dive his Mustang to intercept V1 rocket bombs, get the wingtip under their stub wing and bank away thereby turning the bomb over and dumping it into the Channel.
He would have had to be good at judging when to commence his dive to be able to intercept the V1 as only the Tempest V was supposedly able to catch it in level flight, and then only from a short way astern!

And the poor old Mustang would probably have been at 'War Emergency Power*' as well!

* 66" MAP and (I think) 3,000rpm.

As a student at a boarding school in Adelaide in the late 60's I'd occasionally hang around Adelaide Airport of a Sunday afternoon hoping to be shown through some of those aircraft. Will never forget being shown through an Electra (there were about four of us College Students if I remember correctly) by one of the "Hosties' and being given the rundown in the cockpit by one of the Pilots!

In the (possibly) regrettably unlikely event that the two people concerned are still with us, and perchance reading these pages; Thank you Sir and Ma'am!