PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Check on final
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2015, 07:51
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm amazed that this is getting so much replies. The topic could have been closed after the first reply ( mine )

a) If it's legal for you to land and there's no doubt on your mind that a safe landing can be made, then go ahead and land.
b) If there's any doubt on your mind that a safe landing can be made, whatever the twr reported wind may be, then go-auround and find a better option.

I recently made a go-around in Rhodos Rwy 25 (3305 m length) in an A320 at 58T landing weight, because the twr reported 12 kts tailwind. Landing on R25 would have been safer then what we ended up doing: a go-around and vectors for a VOR app on Rwy 07 with crosswind and moderate turbulence on short final. Was it unsafe to go around? Maybe not. But the go-around and landing on 07 added nothing to safety and it took extra time, extra fuel and it would needlessly scare some passengers. I knew that before I initiated the go around!

I made a go around just because I feared that someone might file a report that I landed with a reported 12 kts tailwind and not because that was the safest thing to do. If you think about it, that's nothing to be proud of! (Sadly some people will say that thinking or using common sense is not done according to SOP)

It's a pity that it has come to the point that sometimes you have to be afraid of choosing the safest and best decision...

(Standing by now to get flamed because I dared to say that landing with 12 kts tailwind under the given circumstances would have been safe. Of course it's perfectly safe to land with 10 kts tailwind, but reckless to land with 12 kts tailwind. )