PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road trip part 2 - Santa Monica to Calgary
Old 16th Oct 2015, 07:14
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Day 5 - Paine Field, Museum of Flight - Restoration Center and Reserve Collection

This was next on my agenda. A complete contrast to FHC - a working restoration workshop, that you can wander round on your own - "if you go out onto the ramp, don't go beyond the nose of the 727."

I came here to see this - a Comet 4C being restored:

The cockpit is completely restored, the cabin is nearly done, but there is still a lot of work to do on the wings and engines.

It is an ex-Mexicana aircraft that sat derelict at Paine Field for many years and was used by the fire section for practice! I was told that when they were fixing the corroded belly skins, they had to put a wooden beam inside the cabin to prevent the aircraft breaking its back!

Twenty years of work so far!

Lots of other interesting stuff there.

Boeing SST mockup:

Bowlus Baby glider:

Prototype Lockheed Jetstar:

Pratt and Read PR-G1 two-place glider:

Boeing 247D:

Boeing Hydrofoil test craft:

I walked past this initially without realizing what it was. Boeing eventually produced this:

I had a ride on one belonging to the Indonesian Navy, when I lived in Jakarta. It had been chartered out for passenger operations!

In the lobby, there were several aero engines, including this beautifully sectioned R-4360:

28 cylinders, 71.5 litres, 3500 HP. There are eight of these engines on the Spruce Goose!

http://www.museumofflight.org/restoration

Last edited by India Four Two; 16th Oct 2015 at 07:41.